Challenge / Business Driver
A large chain of community hospitals had trouble monitoring operations across its 80+ facilities. Executives wanted to know how each facility was performing at the moment; but the only way to find out was to login to 3 different systems for various metrics. Even more frustrating, there were 2 different Hospital Management Systems in use, and that made reporting across facilities even more difficult.
We built a custom web application with a Real Time dashboard for Executives. This application provided visibility into metrics such as patient pathway, wait times by department, occupancy reports, admission and hold times etc.
At HashedIn, we choose the best tool available for the job, even if it means going with an off-the-shelf production. However, in this case, we chose not to use an existing solution such as Tableau or Qlik for the following reasons:
- The per user license model would quickly get very expensive given the number of users that needed access to metrics
- The metrics were well defined and didn’t require a lot of ad-hoc reporting, so they wouldn’t benefit from a drag-and-drop style DIY tool
- Most of the work involved integrating with multiple inhouse systems and building a star-shaped schema for the metrics. The tools wouldn’t help much in doing this.
Solution – Key Highlights
- Data pipeline – to pull raw data from multiple HMS’ and other internal systems on a 5 minute frequency, perform normalization and aggregation, and finally store the derived metrics in a MySQL based star schema.
- Customizable Alerts – on any metric, with custom thresholds. Allowed executives to react to issues as they occur.
- Modern Responsive UI – using HighCharts for charting, Angular JS web framework, and REST APIs to fetch metrics.
- Authentication – Integration with Active Directory to only allow authorized users access to metrics.
- Easy to add additional Metrics – A declarative mechanism to add additional metrics by simply writing a SQL query.
The web application took 3 months to develop and deploy in production. Since it was first developed, the IT department continues to add additional metrics depending on business needs.
More case studies on Reporting Service
HashedIn provides consulting and professional services in business intelligence, reporting and analytics to help businesses derive actionable insights from various bits of data that is gathered. To learn how we can help you, contact us.